Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Judith Regan Is A Victim



I can't stand hearing the media pap excoriating Judith Regan for her role in the now "lost" O.J. Simpson project.

It's all a load of bull. More to the point, the ruckus is nothing more than whining and professional jealousy.

The nation's news outlets were all stung by Regan's amazing "get."

Does anyone truly believe that the media cares this much about safeguarding the public's sensitivity-- or is in a position to judge matters of taste?

If that's the case, where's the outcry over the latest Charlie Manson interview? How about the first sit-down with the Menendez brothers?



Now that Regan has been pushed-out of her Century City offices, I see that the New York Times no longer views Simpson's description of the murder scene as out-of-bounds. Curious.

I guess printing a leaked transcript of a book that no longer exists adds a gauzy layer of acceptability for the old gray lady. Curious.

Does anyone reading this know of someone that was truly offended by the announced, "If I Did It" project? I don't. Yet, if you read or listened to the daily dribble concerning the Regan/Murdoch firestorm, you would have walked away feeling that every citizen living in a blue or red state was moved to a vibrating fury over the "tasteless" Simpson project.

Who was outraged? Again, I don't know a single person that was upset over the impending printing. Natch-- I strongly suspect the only ones "outraged" were a bunch of angry -- and jealous -- news suits.

Regan's biggest problem is that she's upset a long list of folks who are envious over her success. This was their 'get back' moment. It's a shame we're still endorsing book burnings in this day and age. It would have been interesting to see how outrageous book sales would have been.

Regan's been a victim before, but she won't remain one for long.

1 Comments:

At 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you in some ways, but definitely not over knowing if anyone was offended... I know plenty of people - but, I think the term offended is overused, and they were likely just appalled, amazed, or disgusted.

What actually did offend me were people threatening to boycott bookstores that wanted to carry the confession. I hate when people try to decide for me what I can or can't read or buy, regardless of how appalled they are.

The real justice would have been in releasing the book and seeing if it sold, or if real public opinion would be against it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home